Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Florida, Other Stuff

We were gone for 8 days and while the beach is amazing it's nice to see and do other things too.

On Tuesday while my Grandmother was working on a book her Republican women's club is putting together we went to the Zoo of Northwest Florida. It's a little hurricane battered and they are still fixing things from last season. I can't say its all that nice, but they did have some interesting animals. Lions, tigers, zebras, kangaroos, fruit bats...and the sweetest orangutans I have ever seen! Their enclosure made me sad, its really an enclosure, the walls are VERY high and you can only see them through a few tiny windows. I was sitting on the ledge of one of the windows talking to David when I heard a loud thump. I turned around and Mama and Baby O were pressed against the window making faces. So naturally I had to return the gesture!




We ate at Cantina Laredo one day, which I ate all the time in Austin and really missed, and this creole place called Pat O'Briens. They had great live music and Sam really liked my pasta! I think I got to eat maybe half of it, so naturally I had to have dessert. I wanted their hurricane mixed berries, but since they were out settled for beignets. Yum!

Every place we ate at Sam really seemed to like the waitresses. He smiled and waved...he's a flirt already.

Our last day there we took a Polaris four-wheeler off-road and went up the beach in Pensacola to Fort Pickens. It was built in 1834 and used until 1947. They restored it once but Hurricane Ivan really did some damage. They closed the tour office but you can still do self-guided tours. It was amazing, and we had the entire complex to ourselves. I hadn't realized that it was so far off the beaten path, or how long we would be there so I was a little unprepared, and a little grumpy. My outlook brightened considerably when I realized that the bathrooms and water fountain were in working order. :) The Fort was fascinating, Sam never smiles or anything for pictures but David managed to get this candid:

And here are a few other Fort pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment